In celebration of Global Wellness Day on 10 June, JOALI BEING – the first wellbeing island of its kind on the pristine isle of Bodufushi in Raa Atoll, Maldives – and JOALI Maldives – the first art-immersive resort in the Maldives on neighbouring Muravandhoo Island – celebrated with an exciting programme of events, aimed at bringing together guests and locals at each resort in celebration of the wellness community around the world.
In honour of this year’s official theme – #DanceMagenta – movement was at the heart of the experiences along with community – ‘celebrating the joy of connection’.
Redefining the meaning of wellbeing getaways, the island is home to unique transformative spaces – including hydrotherapy, movement and sound healing treatments – to nourish guests and give them a new sense of ‘weightlessness’.
Global Wellness Day featured an exciting array of events with transformation – and dance – at the heart of it.
• Dynamic Run and Dance – In rhythm to traditional Boduberu drums and a live DJ where guests could move to Chi-Flow on the sand
• JOALI BEING’s state-of-the-art Discovery Sound Path took guests on a Movement Meditation Journey through walking meditation whilst enveloped by the healing vibrations of musical instruments
• The Steps Aerobics Class offered a joyful blend of cardio and music
• Honouring all aspects of wellbeing, a healthy cooking class with the resort’s top chefs helped guests prepare nourishing, delicious dishes – from selecting the right ingredients, to using intelligent cooking techniques in the dedicated Culinary Learning Centre.
• Aquatic Motion – fusing movement, live music and water in the main swimming pool
• For those looking for a slower paced experience, Sunset Yoga at MOJO Beach was the perfect alternative
• And finally, guests danced the night away at Chakra Dance in the scenic Ocean Sala
At the core of JOALI BEING is modern science and long-honoured traditions aimed at guiding guests on a journey of self-discovery and renewal. A dedicated expert team of naturopaths, therapists and movement experts aims to work with guests every step of the way to help set intentions, nurture and co-create moments of ‘wonder and transcendence.’
The Four Pillars of JOALI BEING includes:
• MIND: Cultivate contentment and peace of mind through sound therapy and mind and body practices
• SKIN: Illuminate the skin with rejuvenating therapies that draw equally from timeless rituals and the world’s most advanced research
• MIRCOBIOME: Form a deeper understand of the connection between body, mind and nutrition while building eating habits around the body’s circadian rhythm
• ENERGY: Rebalance the nervous system and optimise energy flow through intelligent movement practices and restorative therapies
The ‘Island of Joy’ brought an exciting blend of art, dance and learning to the mix with its programming this year, including:
• The JOALI Community Challenge – bringing dance to the forefront, the event encouraged guests to dance and run together
• At the Spa Pavilion, Movement Meditation took place with JOALI’s expert practitioner at the helm
• Aqua Jogging – a great way to improve your cardiovascular fitness and running form — was also on offer
• A Detox Drinks Workshop gives guests top tips in making their own health cleansing drinks
A Brand Rooted in Community
JOALI is committed to engaging with and empowering local communities. Since its arrival in the Maldives, the luxury lifestyle and hospitality brand has demonstrated this commitment in a variety of meaningful ways. The team has partnered with Maldivian organisations to aid the training of girls in local schools; provide hospitality internships for aspiring candidates; and conduct virtual educational sessions for local university students.
This year, in honour of community, JOALI created a memorable evening at Raa Maakurathu, a local island in Raa Atoll. Dedicated to living well, the community event featured an Island Walk and a Community Dance, inspired by #DanceMagenta. There was also a Kids’ Evening, including marine biology activities, exciting games and healthy food and drinks for young explorers.
“The community aspect was crucial for us here at JOALI because we truly believe in equality. We wanted to create a day where we could bring people together – uniting guests from both islands plus visiting other island communities- to focus on their wellbeing with the belief that: one inspirational day really can change your whole perspective.
“We want to try and collaborate with as many Maldivian island communities as possible and see how they have been inspired by Global Wellness Day and how it has impacted their day-to-day lives” said Özgür Cengiz, General Manager of JOALI BEING.
“Our hope is that our communities take learnings from Wellness Day and they wake up every day and choose their joy.”
Özgür is also the official Ambassador of Global Wellness Day for the Maldives. In special honour of Global
Wellness Day, Özgür Cengiz, talks to Belgin Aksoy – founder of Global Wellness Day – on their dedicated podcast on her journey, how she aims to change lives and communities through wellness plus her life-changing 7-step manifest.
JOALI has also made significant contributions to local agencies. Generous funds have been donated to several organisations working in the archipelago, including three Women’s Development Committees in Raa Atoll, Women in Tech Maldives, Zero Waste Maldives, and the Olive Ridley Project. Sustainability is also at the heart of the brand and both JOALI Maldives and JOALI BEING are Silver Certified by EarthCheck, for our initiatives towards creating a sustainable future.
For further details and booking, please visit www.joali.com